We are Committed
to the Highest
Standards of Health
At Black & McDonald, excellence in Health, Safety and Environment is inherent in how we do business in all aspects of our operations.
The health and safety of people in our workplace and the protection of our environment are fundamental values we observe when carrying out our business activities. We have been the recipient of numerous awards of excellence, yet we strive for continuous performance improvement. Within Black & McDonald, we believe that every incident is preventable and the goal of zero incidents is achievable.
Many of our operations present potential risks to people and environment, and we believe the most effective way to meet our commitment is through a competent, committed workforce and a recognized Health, Safety and Environment Management System to ensure that any potential risk is effectively and proactively mitigated. We accomplish this by the implementation of our Hazard Identification Elimination Risk Assessment & Control (HIERAC) processes. These are combined with clearly defined policies, standards, programs and safe work practices that are vigorously applied to deliver our desired results.
Our Health, Safety and Environment Management System Objectives include:
- Follow the “Plan, Do, Check, Act” systems model, which is based on the ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System
- Focus our efforts on effectively implementing our proactive tools
- Continue to significantly improve our health, safety and environmental performance by proactively addressing hazards and hazardous activity in the field
- Support the development of our workers through orientation, training, task instruction, and observation
- Establish effective strategic planning to identify hazards with continuous oversight to effectively mitigate risk
- Reinforce our belief that all health, safety, and environmental incidents are preventable
- Promote and maintain a work environment in which each of us accepts personal responsibility for our own health and safety and that of our colleagues, and in which everyone actively participates to ensure the health and safety of others
We believe these measures will continue to drive Black & McDonald closer to our vision of a workplace where “Nobody Gets Hurt Today or Tomorrow.”
Black & McDonald has achieved the Certificate of Recognition (CORTM) in all provinces of Canada in which the program is in place.
In 2007, 2009, 2012, and 2013, our joint venture ABM received ExxonMobil’s highest safety award for safety performance, the Lost Time Incident Award.
Black & McDonald has received the R.H. Carroll Award for several consecutive years, most recently in 2019, for best exemplifying dedication and commitment to safety in the electrical utility contracting industry.
Who We Are
From our humble start in 1921 as residential electrical wiring contractors, Black & McDonald has grown to multiple lines of business with over 5,500 employees working out of 30+ offices.
Black & McDonald Story
Black & McDonald was founded in 1921 as a partnership between William John (W.J.) McDonald and William R. Black, and was primarily engaged in simple residential electrical wiring.
From the very beginning, W.J. McDonald had a vision of how he wanted the company to grow, and he established a Code of Business that guides our organization to this day.
Quality has always been a cornerstone of our business philosophy. We believe our customers deserve the highest quality products and services available.
Corporate Social Responsibility
“Do it right” is a Black & McDonald core value, and that belief extends beyond project work into our interaction and integration with the communities and stakeholders we serve.
Subsidiaries & Affiliates
The Black & McDonald family of companies includes a number of wholly owned subsidiaries and affiliated companies across Canada and the United States.
Get In Touch
Join Our Team
You believe that if something’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right. That solutions should be made to last. That being part of a team means working not just for oneself but for one another. That’s how we operate too. At Black & McDonald, we’re on a mission to do work and build relationships that stand the test of time.