On the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day, while we are all social distancing, we are reminded of the large impact just one person can have by taking action in their daily life.
Black & McDonald is happy to support Earth Day by encouraging our employees to take action at home to help protect the environment.
Here are some ideas and tips while you’re at home on how you can make a difference:
- Grow your own herbs and vegetables. It cuts down on food waste and saves on trips to the grocery store. Don’t forget to include some pollinator friendly varieties!
- In places where you can still go out for walks and maintain a safe distance, bring a bag and do your part by picking up garbage.
- Remove invasive plants that may be growing in your yard.
- Now that we are spending more time at home, make sure to turn off lights and appliances when they’re not in use.
- Stop buying plastic water bottles at home and replace them with a water filter. Water filters save money and cut down on plastic waste.
- Do a lighting retrofit in your own home! Replace your incandescent or fluorescent bulbs with LED bulbs.
- As the outside temperature starts to rise, lower your thermostat set point to save on heating costs.
- If you’re upgrading your air conditioning system make sure to get an Energy Star rated system.